Why are alkaline diets important? An Alkaline diet is key for optimizing vitality because alkaline diets keep our tissues supple and reduces inflammation, which is a culprit in several disease processes like arthritis, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel disorders, and even cancer. Alkalizing your body also builds and strengthens bone, thereby reducing the incidence of osteoporosis.
How you know if you are alkaline? pH refers to a measurement of acidity or alkalinity. It is easily measured using a pH dip stick purchased at your local pharmacy, and with your first morning urine you can find out what your level of alkaline-acid is. Low pH readings (below 7.0) are considered acidic, while higher readings (above 7.0) are considered alkaline.
Your body functions best when the pH is slightly alkaline. However many bodily processes, for example, digestion, will produce acid residues. Your pH level is always in flux: acids are constantly being produced and neutralized. These acids are produced and require neutralization- also known as alkalization. Diet and supplements are the main way to reduce the acid load.
What are some examples of alkaline food? Most alkaline foods are vegetables and fruits. Leafy greens are especially alkaline forming in the body.
Some alkaline forming foods include:
- Root vegetables: examples include radishes especially (black, red or white), as well as beets, carrots, turnips, horseradish and rutabaga
- Cruciferous such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts
- Leafy greens including kale, Swiss chard, turnip greens, and spinach.
Some acid forming foods:
- Animal proteins: Bacon, Beef, Pork,
- Refined sugar
10 ways to alkalize your diet:
1. Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day
2. Squeeze a fresh lemon or lime into your water
3. Add apple cider vinegar to salad dressings
4. Add green tea to your diet (switch from coffee to green tea once or twice per week)
5. Twice per week, replace an animal protein meal with vegetables and limit animal protein (maximum 60 mg per day.)
6. Reduce sugar intake and soda drinks
7. Reduce refined carbohydrates
8. Supplement with buffered Vitamin C 1000mg
9. Incorporate sea vegetables into diet
10. Monitor urinary pH (and add supplements and diet to alkalinize.)
As part of a detoxification plan, or reducing inflammation, it is helpful to monitor alkaline-acid and eat foods that support alkalinity . Some of the benefits of the alkaline foods include increased energy, mental clarity, reduced joint stiffness and muscle pain.
Now I’d like to hear from you.
Have you followed an alkaline diet? If so, what changes did you notice? Leave your comments below.